Monday, March 17, 2014

Gammarauders (Extremely Tiny) Roleplaying System

In February 2013 I mentioned I had a Gammarauder game box on my shelf.

This one:


I played this back in high school and I bought the game purely out of nostalgia.

This morning I finally sorted through the box contents and verified that I do indeed have a complete set of the game (counting punched chits is a pain in the butt!). I had a $5 off coupon for my neighborhood hardware store, so I grabbed two Plano 3448-60 Utility Boxes to store the chits and game pieces. It's a tight squeeze to get the boxes, the card deck, and the hex boards in the box, but they do fit.

I was also reading up on Boardgamegeek.com and Wikipedia that DC Comics had produced a 10-issue run of comics based on the game. Wikipedia revealed that in issues 1, 3, & 4 of the comic there was a d6-based mini-RPG called Gammarauders (Extremely Tiny) Roleplaying System! I had never heard of this before so I turned to The Google and tracked down (ahem) fan-scanned issues to take a look at the game system. It turns out it was written by Zeb Cook! There's a thread over at The Piazza which discusses the comics & the RPG a bit, too.

As far as I can tell, there weren't any settings or scenarios for this micro system, and there aren't any examples of play, either. The other (ahem) fan-scanned issues I found were missing ads and backmatter, so I can't tell conclusively if Zeb wrote any more than what was in issues 1, 3, & 4. In fact, some of Zeb's comments in the rules don't make sense if you haven't read the comics or at least read the setting book included with the Gammarauders board game.

So, without further ado, presented here for your reading pleasure are 1) the original "World Book" setting book from the Gammarauder game, scanned as images by yours truly (via my DropBox) and 2) the game system extracted from the above-mentioned comic issues. Click to embiggen the images below!







It would be really great if someone could do the magic of re-formating this text to make it useable. I'm not volunteering, as I have too many things on my plate right now.