Sunday, February 12, 2012

In Which I Brag About My Google-Fu

Over the past few evenings, I have been hunkered down in front of the computer, trying to hunt down several older d20 fanzines published as PDFs. Most of these went "POOF!" when the d20 Magazine Rack site was taken over by spammers.

Now, I'm not a d20 gamer--never was. But while I've never played a game under the d20 rule system, I admire the wealth of material that fans churned out under the OGL during the 3e/3.5e days.

I got back into gaming in late 2009/early 2010. By this time, many free d20 fanzines had gone the way of the dodo.

So. What to do?

I cracked my knuckles and worked Google and the Internet Archive Wayback Machine for a few hours. The result?

I've tracked down all the issues of Fictional Reality (39 issues), Super Samurai (3 issues), and Revisiting the Three Kingdoms Quarterly (8 issues). I've got almost the whole run of the Silven Trumpeter (I posted about the missing issues previously). And I found a ton of links to other cool fanzines in the process, many of which I've added to the zine page.

There is an archive of Fictional Reality hosted on another site, and I've linked to that on the zine page, too. In the coming days, I'll be uploading the other zines to my own archive site and posting links.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to hunt down issues of four zines: Ethos Magazine, Legions Realm Monthly, TempesT's Lore, and Critical Hit (for HeroClix). I've got good leads on Critical Hit (I've managed to grab a handful of issues via the Wayback Machine), but the others are proving damned difficult to locate. If you have any issues of these zines (all of which were published almost 10 years ago!).

Just call me your friendly zine archivist.