Friday, November 11, 2011

Iron Chef Adventure Challenge!

The gauntlet was thrown by Mike Monaco over at Swords & Dorkery: design an encounter/adventure/scenario using at least half of the cards in a pack of TSR 1992 AD&D Collector Cards. He managed to round up some folks to contribute prizes, and Mike was even kind enough to mail contestants a pack of cards from his own stash at his own expense.

Once I opened the card pack and saw what I had to work with, I grabbed this map by Tim Hartin over at Paratime Design and got to work. Well, not really. I let the cards and map and preliminary notes sit on my desk for almost a month while I doodled out ideas on a notepad. And then this past Monday (which happened to be my 41st birthday), I decided to chuck all my brainstorming and pre-writing and mindless mulling and just start writing and see what happened.

In short, I pulled this out of my ass at the last minute.

So, what did Mike get from me for his $1.71 mailing costs?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

Everyone's Grumpy Under That Hill . . . And a River Runs Through It.

I managed to use all 16 cards to create a fairly incongruent, slightly gonzo mini-module that would make my 13-year-old self proud and entirely undercuts everything I know (and teach) about good game design and encounter writing. How low did I go? Here's a hint: I even included a room full of rutting Flail Snails.

This has not been play tested (or intensely proofread). But I am tempted to run some of my Digital Narratives students through it just to see what would happen.

I'd be happy to hear your feedback in the comments below. Have at it, you vultures.